Monday, 27 October 2008

Pingu and Pingvina in Italy: Rome

After our useless holidays on the beach (grown ups, ts!) we were desperate for some culture, so we convinced our parents to travel to Rome, firstly because 2000 years of civilisation can’t be bad and who knows, maybe even I could learn something new there. Lots of mighty Roman gods (and people who fed them), the birthplace of Pizza and Pasta, philosophers and orgies. Destination Pingu!

Rome was one of the best places we’ve ever conquered, we loved it!!! Thanks to the cheap Chianti wine even Pingvina was passionate about it (she didn’t like the museums and ruins). And I was constantly reminded of my childhood in India:
-> noisy and angry drivers who wouldn’t stop for anybody - but leaving the car running in the middle of the street to slowly slurp an espresso,
-> smelly heaps of trash everywhere - but even in the grubbiest looking hole divine good cooking, never had a running nose!
-> everything was dented or scratched or dirty - but what grand monuments dating back to ancient kingdoms!
-> public transport was on strike, demonstrations and lots of shouting and arm waving - but people were so nice they cuddled us to bits
Great wonderful chaos everywhere, definitely not boring like Switzerland.

We lived right next to the Vatican and nearly saw the Pope but our parents didn’t want to arrange an audience for me. So I left some graffitti on his obelisk („Pingu was here“ and phone number). He never called back. The Colosseum was where slaves fought with lions and crazy gladiators fought each other, we just missed the last show by 1600 years. If I ever get back to my Maharaja kingdom I’ll build one of these. And I’ll have loads of giant Pingu statues made, also one for Pingvina.
We stuffed our bellies with the best available smells on the planet three times a day and there are hundreds of impressions and stories I could write about, but I have to stop now. It’s dinner time and I still have to load the photos mummy took (in the last photo we are imprisoned in the same dungeon where St.Peter and the arch enemies of Rome were kept - our parents were joking again). Ciao for now.

No comments: